I wouldn’t be who I am if I didn’t indulge in gripes about my pet peeves. So what if it’s at the start of the year? This way am getting some rants and grumbles out of my system so there’s less to spew and gnash my teeth about!
I have made a couple of decisions. Won’t call them resolutions because then it’s nearly a foregone conclusion that they’ll be deviated from sooner or later.
I am quite bugged with one of my lifelines..Amazon. I buy books from them quite often and they end up being my kid’s toy shop of choice for all the exotic variety of dragons not available in our city, nay…country! But for them to restrict the sale of certain digital media if you choose your country as India is super annoying. You get access to loads of books nonetheless. More than I could finish in this lifetime. But still! And if you do choose USA as your country then the world is your oyster but the Indian government plays spoilsport and tacks on a Swachhh Bharat tax on top of the foreign currency mark-up and what not!
Now the Swachh Bharat tax isn’t something I’m not crazy about. It might have started out with good intentions (as do most things on the road to hell am told) but levying it on all and sundry just seems bloody annoying. And pardon my French but I missed the fine print where it was notified that it would be levied on everything that generates a bill.
The last time I encountered this level of “being anal” is when the bean counters at the T.I.S.S literally tried to brainwash my colleagues and I for all the expenses we could and would encounter during our field work. Even in those small mom&pop stores where they just write down the bill for all amounts big and small. They wanted to make sure we would get the Rs.1 revenue stamp affixed on all relevant bills and then the ancient relic in the accounts office went further and said he wanted a receipt for a revenue stamp also. Yikes! The paper work was staggering…oye ve!
But that lovely little anecdote from the past aside here are some more things I have decided I’m GOING to do.
- Finish watching every single movie/t.v show I’ve downloaded and only keep those that I know I’ll watch again. Ergo, no hoarding the sheer “wealth” of torrents.
- Public a minimum of 3 blog posts every week- photography or otherwise.
- Use up or give away bed linen that’s been languishing in the closet because I only bring out the higher thread count ones or the ones with monkeys on them to keep the brat happy.
- Take more pictures and master a bit more of photo editing because that’s what makes or breaks an image.
- Try out one new recipe (sweet, savory anything!) a week.
- Try and grow taller! Psych…had you going there for a minute, didn’t I?
- Try and read more non-fiction because Red thinks I’m growing dumb or murderous with all the crime fiction and mythological stuff I read.
- Take at least 3 holidays this year and discover a new place or two. Or ten.
- Teach the offspring a few words of my native tongue.
- Keep those bleeped out words in my head and not in my mouth. Tiny ears to mouth transmission speed is shockingly good!
- Learn to swim with my head above water else I’ll drown if not in a pool or just keep treading water like a doofus.
- Publish one book digitally no matter how silly. And this one am really, really serious about.
So, 12 months and 12 non-resolutions. Doable? 2017 will tell.