We test drive a car before buying it. We ought to be able to test drive our spouses, partners too. Here’s why-
- You meticulously switch off the lights and fan when exiting a room. Their motto in life is to forget it. Always.
- You hang your wet towels out to dry on the clothesline or drying rack. They feel a bed is the best way to get the job done. And somehow never seem to leave it on the side of the bed they sleep in; its always on yours.
- You love to read in bed. They act like a minute beam of light is blinding and continue to toss and turn till the bed seems to be suffering from tectonic movements.
- You watch/read mainstream movies and novels. They watch award-winning foreign language movies which are dark and dreary and someone always seems to die or be dying and read books which are as straight and uncomplicated as a jalebi (or pretzel, take your pick).
- You want your bathroom tiles to be “cheerful”. They raise eyebrows at you and say just pick something where the grime won’t show up and keep mumbling about the ridiculous adjective of cheerful for bathroom tiles!
- You usually know where your essential accessories are. They need a map. Everyday. Without Fail.
That and many more reasons are why you should know a person beyond their favorite color and food.
You just might end up shivering next to a person who ends up rolling themselves up like a spring roll in a comforter meant for two while you ponder about whether you would be justified in kicking them of bed altogether.
OR in time you could gaze upon your giggling offspring and say isn’t that the most beautiful face ever? They would agree.
So it works both ways 🙂